If you’re a rising high school senior with intentions of applying for college, you probably have an essay or two to write. Ok, that’s hyperbole– you’ve probably more like eight or more. You’re probably getting the advice of not taking a lighter load your senior year so that it doesn’t look like you’re slacking off. And let’s face it, on top of everything thing there is to do, you’re also getting the advice of “enjoy your senior year” and “do the things that matter to you”. It can be overwhelming. I get it.
The only way to get something done is to actually … begin.—— a random inspirational poster I saw in a doctor’s office once
The GetItDone Essay program can help you kick start getting that essay done. Imagine walking into the first day of your senior year with stuff already marked off your list!
What is the GetItDone Essay program?
It is a set of appointments structured to get started, get feedback, and keep yourself accountable. Even if you are a natural at writing about how amazing you are, the GetItDone Essay program can be a catalyst to set and keep your writing goals.
The program appointments are as follows:
- A 30-minute session to talk about your essay, define the strategy that works best for you, and define how we will interact to review your writing and keep you accountable to your goals.
- A 60-minute session (ideally a week after our first session) to review your first draft. I will review your essay before we meet so that this time is spent interactively working on the essay.
- A 30-minute session (ideally 3-4 days after the first 60-minute session) to check-in, talk about any rough patches. This is the active accountability portion.
- A 60-minute session (ideally a week after the first 60-minute session) to review your second draft. I will review your essay before we meet so that this time is spent interactively working on the essay.
Depending on how you want to work with me, I can also provide intermittent accountability check-ins via text or email.
How much does this program cost?
The cost is $80 for this program. I will invoice after the first 30-minute session, assuming you wish to continue working with me. If you require more sessions than what is in this program, I will charge you my normal tutoring/essay rate of $35/hr for one-on-one sessions and $20/essay for typed feedback only.
What else do I need to know?
- Ideally, we will meet in person for the one-on-one sessions at a location convenient to both parties (generally a library or semi-public venue). We can also meet online via Zoom if no other option is available. (COVID Update: all meetings online via Zoom)
- Any information (either written, verbal or digital) will not be shared by me with anyone for any reason. Files shared with me will be deleted six months after our last appointment or sooner if you request it.
- I will not write your essay for you. I am here to provide feedback on content, structure, clarity, and impact. I will help you strategize and generate ideas. When we are done, your essay will be in your own words.
- Just to be clear: I will not guarantee that working with me will get you into any particular college, or college in general. That’s on you. I am only here to help in the process. I wish you the best of luck.